Relief Print Workshop with Jan Melville
Join printmaker Jan Melville for this relief print workshop, which coincides with her solo exhibition, Wings For Flight.
Jan will discuss topics such as safe carving, how to transfer images onto the plate, and the differences in various types of paper, before participants create their own lino or vinyl cut print on the day. The workshop is suitable for beginners and experienced printmakers. There will be a mixture of supplied materials and materials you need to bring with you.
- Black printing ink
- Brayers for inking up glass
- Disposable gloves
- Rags and oil for cleaning up newsprint for proofing
- Rice paper for printing (also feel free to bring your own rice paper if you have some You wish to use, but please note it must be THIN paper)
What to bring:
- Lino cutting tools (if you have these – if not Jan will have some available for purchase on the day. Please email Jan asap if you need to purchase tools, and bring $10 cash on the day)
- Vinyl and lino for carving (if you have these, if not Jan will have some available for purchase on the day. Please email Jan asap if you need to purchase lino and vinyl, and bring $15 cash on the day)
- Wooden spoon (or baren if you have one or both)
- Images around A5 in size on tracing paper (your image will reverse when printed
- tracing paper will allow you to see the image both sides. You can also draw direct.
- Carbon paper 1 sheet
- Sharp lead pencil
- Apron or old shirt
- Something to carry your prints home in
- Light lunch (or there are cafes near by)
If you have any questions about the workshop or need to purchase materials please email Jan directly and she will be happy to help.